Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LEGO Construction Site

When I was a kid I used to play occasionally with a LEGO Police Station set that my parents bought me in 1981 or thereabouts and I used to build all the police cars and buildings that came with the set.  I really wanted the space set and so I had to improvise on making air tanks with rubber bands and round studs.
People always said, 'Oh, you're going to be an engineer' and so I got it in my head that I was going to be an engineer.
As an engineer I don't play with LEGO.  I occasionally draw lines in AutoCAD that represent pipes and spend most of my time managing projects.
On my spare time, I still play with LEGO and last year made a model of a construction site for one of our pipe rehabilitation projects.  Here's a photo of one of the pipe enclosures before back filling the holes.

These projects are used to fix aging pipes in the San Diego area and construction means tearing out a piece of the pipe and dropping steel liners into this hole in the ground and transporting them to the appropriate area that needs to be installed. 

Here's a couple of photos of the diorama I did complete with sound walls to mitigate any impacts to endangered species and fencing to avoid any intrusion into the green areas.

Total cost for this model?  After shipping and handling and acquiring all the pieces from Bricklink, about 600 dollars!
The liner in the LEGO model is transparent but in reality it is half inch thick steel.
Front View of the complete model.  Notice cement truck and vent structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment