Sunday, April 5, 2015

How PancakeBot Inspires Kids

I got a great letter for a young man in high school about how PancakeBot inspired him to build a chocolate printer.
This is one of the reasons why we kept moving forward with this project.
Here's the letter.
I've just kept the young man's initials for privacy sake.


Hi Miguel,
I just wanted to let you know how much you have inspired me. I saw (online) your original PancakeBot a couple years ago and I thought it was amazing that you were using the same technology (NXT) as I was playing around with. Fast forward to this past summer when I happened to come across the incredible stop motion video you did with breakfast food. That again inspired me as I have enjoyed making a few stop motions.
Then this year (my senior year in high school) I had to come up with a full year engineering project to design and build. Since last year I have been very into 3D printing so I decided to go for some twist on that. I wanted to make a self-flipping PancakeBot but my teacher said he did not want me "cooking" in the robotics lab. Instead, I am creating a chocolate 3D printer. (I can't find my original drawings for the pancake machine but one idea had two heated conveyer belts with a flipper in the middle, similar to a donut machine).
Again, as I am finishing my chocolate printer I saw that you have a third version and a Kickstarter!
While I am going into college next year and a PancakeBot would be amazing to have in a dorm, I do not think I can afford it at the moment (you know, because of paying for college) but I am doing mechanical engineering and hope to make/own one one day.
Again though, thank you for making such a cool machine and sharing the iterations of the device. You have certainly inspired me that I can someday take an idea I have (like a chocolate 3D printer), create it and bring it to the market.
~E.
P.S. If you want to check out my chocolate 3D printer, here it is: chocolateprinter.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment